Museo Diocesano o della Cattedrale Pienza
The Museum of the Cathedral of Pienza hosts several pieces that testify XIIIth and XIVth century Sienese devotional art . It also hosts a rich collection of archeological findings coming from diggings executed in the area. The set up and the museum route follow thematic and chronological standards. Among the art works of the archeological section , there are several Etruscan and Roman objects for daily use. There are, among them, cinerary urns and Etruscan vases ( IInd century B.C.). The section dedicated to Sacred Art and in particular to liturgical ornaments, outfits and canonicals, follows the archeological section. There are chalices, monstrances, crosses, and a silver reliquary called Peace by Pietro d’ Antoni. Among these, an episcopal miter and Pius II’s Staff. He was the rich prelate , member of the Piccolomini family, Lords of Pienza, that became pope in 1458. Pius II’s Cope is quite remarkable: it’s a cape realized with precious material and decorated with golden thread, representing the Stories of Saint Catherine from Alexandria and the twelve Apostles. XVth and XVIth century Flemish tapestries are also present in the different sections. The painting section hosts XIVth century paintings representing religious subjects. The Madonna of Mercy is attributed to Bartolo di Fredi, whereas a Madonna with Child and Saints is attributed to Sassetta. Other artworks that have particular value are a XIVth century altar piece with miniatures , representing Stories of the life of Christ and a XIVth century triptych representing the Madonna with Child and Saints and sacred scenes.